Tuesday, February 09, 2010

RFID is coming to Eastern Regional Libraries

Eastern Regional Libraries is introducing Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to help manage our library resources. RFID technology uses radio signals and tags to track and monitor items intsead of scanning barcodes. It will be a new and faster way of borrowing your items.

We are currently tagging all of our stock. We have started with Rowville and Boronia branches and it is going quite swiftly.

How will it affect me?
Library members will use a Self Check Station to check out their own items. Multiple items can be checked out a the one time. 

Will I still be able to ask a staff member to check out my items?
Library staff will be there to assist you and will be on hand to guide you through the steps as you learn the new system. There will also be a written guide at every station. I'm looking to create a video tutorial to upload to the website that will take you through the steps.

How do I know that I've checked out my items correctly?
The self check screen will alert you if any items have not been checked out successfully and a tranbsaction slip will be printed listing all items you have borrowed.

Do all items go through this machine?
Yes, all items available for loanb are issued using the Self Check Station.

What if I don't have my library card?
All library customers will need a valid library card to be able to borrow.

What will staff do if they're not checking out items?
Library staff will have more time to devote to helping customers

I'll be keeping you apprised as we work through the introduction of RFID this year. If you have any questions about RFID, please ask via our contact form on the library website.

Cheers, Maryanne

No comments: